Monday, April 20, 2009

Winding Stair Gap to Wayah Shelter

Again, breakfast at Miss Janet's was great. We all answered an abstract question today as we went around the breakfast table, "If you were art, what would you be?" I said I was a sketch drawing for where I am in my life right now. Miss Janet serves a family style breakfast and has a huge place in her heart for hikers. She loves what she does and speaks her mind freely. I was eager to get going after watching an AT video with Chef yesterday.
The weather was very bizarre today. I'm sitting outside the bathroom before Wayah bald waiting for the sun to break. All day a thick blanket of fog (clouds really, because I'm that high) has been blowing off and on the mountains, like an eerie movie. The fire tower on the bald is supposed to have a great view and I'm waiting for a break to run up there and try to get some pictures.
So, Queen Becky suggested I take fish oil for joint/knee pain - anyone know anything about this? On the positive side, it is VERY lightweight...but I don't know enough about it. Also, how much is too much ibuprofen? I'm worried that I'm taking too much and don't want to damage my insides.
Everything is getting greener. Today the trees aren't actually blooming, but the section I've been walking, they are all covered in this green hanging moss that looks really neat. As I'm sitting here, Magic Stick just came up and I chatted with him a bit. Heading up to the tower...
I took my first video, and I'll get that up when I can - I'm not sure how great it turned out, but we will see!
I have been getting moisture in my tent, but I'm re-staking it tonight using all the guy (sp?) lines for better wall separation. I can't wait until it is nice enough to not even use the rain fly.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard fish oil is good for joint pains as well. Ibuprofen, check the package.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll seedthe fish oil with directions. mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    We sent some personal messages via traiplace before you began your hike back in the winter. After reading your blog entries I see you have switched to just about everything I use in my backpacking style. The cat stove, hikng poles, shoes instead of boots, and ect. In the section I am now reading you asked about joint pain and what is good. I will suggest start taking Glucosamine Chondroitin right away. It will take a few weeks before you notice a huge difference but they work wonders for me in the past 10 years. Anyway, I have enjoyed reading your blog and it seems you are having a great time and adventure. I especially liked the PS Rag and getting a motel room with strangers. Yep, it is a different world out there and a wonderful simple one with just the basics. Best of luck and Happy Trails. Sincerely, Ed aka Never Alone AT99, 01, and more.

    PS. Miss Janet is awesome, and Albert Mt. rocks is nothing compared to what lies ahead at Mount Katahdin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ed!
    Of course I remember you! Your journal was the first I'd ever read. Thanks for the recommendation on the Glucosamine Chondroitin. I am still planning on doing some hiking and will start. My knees still sometimes hurt now!

    ReplyDelete