Friday, April 24, 2009

Crap Day

Today may have been the worst day I've had honestly. I think it has been a culmination of a lot of things today, but at one point early in the day I was hiking with the rest of CFC (shortened Clusterfunk Crew), something I actually don't generally do as I prefer hiking alone, and I was holding back tears. I think if I'd been by myself today, it may have been a tantrum day. I'm not sure if it was better or worse that I held it in. It has been a hot, difficult couple of days and my feet and body are hurting (general pain, swelling, etc.), I ran out of multi-vitamins and Synthroid a few days ago (they were missing from my mail drop) so my body isn't processing energy correctly, maybe I've not been eating enough or staying hydrated with how much I'd been sweating, the flies were out of control (ignoring the 100% Deet spray pen I bought), my thighs are chaffing from the seams on the new pants and body glide isn't working because of sweating, my crotch was also extremely sweaty and itchy too (gross I know, but true)! I was also thinking of home a lot and missing the comforts of real life. I know this is just a bad day...I'm not discouraged or thinking of quitting-it was just a miserable day and I almost couldn't take it. Oh, I also stabbed myself with my nose screw and got a bloody nose and am re-thinking the ring for this trip. I wish my pansy feet would get with the program.

On the other hand, it really made me appreciative for all we have in the real world on a daily basis. It was a very humbling experience today. I was talking to Bluto about this and he said, "Maybe you are PMSing" - which could be true too... :) Out here, everything is magnified because everything is being torn down to basic needs and the surface is removed. I just wanted today what I couldn't have and like a kid, I almost threw a tantrum in the store at the checkout lane because mom wouldn't buy me a candy bar. Mmmm....candy bar, and sushi, ice cream....Ugh!

2 comments:

  1. About the ever so torturous chaffing....I had the same thing happen. 2 things helped. I started hiking commando (no undies or spandex under my hiking pants) and I started carrying and using a diaper rash ointment called Boudreaux's Butt Paste on all of the areas that rubbed. Lather the stuff on THE moment you feel chaffing.

    You're doing GREAT, and like you said...this hike really makes you appreciate the comforts of life, and when you're finished, you will have voluntarily put yourself through something that the majority of people never would. Keep up the good hike!!

    ~Certain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Certain - did you ever find a solution to your crabby feet, or is it a toughen it out kind of thing? I know you tried many different insoles.

    ReplyDelete