Saturday, April 18, 2009

Rock Gap to Winding Stair Gap

A short 3.5 miles today to the gap to hitch into Franklin. Right at the gap - TRAIL MAGIC! Long View Baptist church in Franklin had a group that was giving out snacks and drinks to thru hikers and chairs to rest in. Thank you SO much! Queen Becky, Old Soul, Charlie dog (Old Soul's dog) and I are sharing a room again. I went to the outfitter and I got a drinking tube for my Platypus water bladder. It is super inconvenient to stop and take the Nalgene off my hip belt every time I want a drink and I think with this other method I'll stay more hydrated.

Okay - so time for gross stuff. If you are easily offended or don't want to think about me in a gross way, just skip the rest of this entry!

That is your fair warning...

Alright, so I have mastered peeing in the woods. Anyone who knows me or has gone camping with me the last few years knows I have a habit of peeing on myself if I have to squat in the woods. I think I wasn't crouching enough - I have found that finding a log or something to sort of sit on very low to the ground makes for the perfect pee spot without any splashing or dripping on your legs, shoes or pants. I've also now pooped in the woods successfully too! I sort of went into 'NERO' mode for the first couple of days, holding it till the end of the day when I was at camp and there are privy's, but nature called the other day...and it was fine. Using a tree in the form described above, I was able to have this also be a success. I haven't had any trouble with my period at all since cycling pills, so no worries there. I'm so glad I decided on a method that just avoids the whole mess. I have two pair of underwear that I switch between (washing out at night and drying during the day). I started getting some chaffing where the elastic band rubs along the underside of my thigh. I used some Neosporin and a day of going commando - all cleared up! Lastly, I have a purple bandanna that I warn all around me not to touch - it is not only my snot rag, but also my pee rag. I know, I was thoroughly disgusted at the thought of a pee rag too, but who wants to carry around used toilet paper (and pee is sterile)! I use the other half to wipe my nose after performing the action of 'snot rocketing'. Yes, another completely gross, I'd never do that thing, that I've become well versed in. I'm convinced I've had a sinus infection for the last couple of years and my nose is constantly runny - that would again be a lot of toilet paper to pack out. The solution? My "PS rag"!

12 comments:

  1. Wow... just wow....

    -Tank

    ReplyDelete
  2. No shame in your bandana, we talked about this, way to be green, stay clean, and be a mountain woman!! Did you get your package? I'm gonna check and see what the new dates are for the other packages . . . I hope all is well. Andrew & Nate say "hello"! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep it up girl we know u can do it

    Bubblegum

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up Landsberg. I tried calling your phone today in hopes I could leave you a voicemail you would get upon return. Did not work.

    Anyway, sounds like you're going awesome. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so I just have to tell you I'm missin' you so bad right now . . . I'm dancin' with myself, if I had the chance I'd ask Amy to dance and I'd be dancin' with myself!!! Cause she's hiking the freakin' AT!! I love ya sista~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naturally, I show up for the "dirty" entry. HA!!!

    Sounds like you are having fun. And the pics are real nice as well. Do take the time to take everything in. I know it helps being around friends and fellow trailers(?), but don't forget to take some time to be alone with your thoughts. You may hear a lot if you listen to nothing.

    Keep on keeping on. You are kicking booty and takin' names.

    BTW, Go Blackhawks!!!!

    Jakobeast (Jeff Jakubowski)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doing great! Can't wait to read the next day! BTW no worries about the sp rag....gotta take care of you while you are out there! Get all you can outta this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OGMGOMGOGOGMOGM!!!!!

    UR FACE IS TOTALLY DOING IT!!!

    I HEARTS UR FACE BABY!!!

    GOOD LUCK!!!!

    GJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. the blog thing is a little confusing for me, but I'm so glad everyone can keep up with you. I'm having trouble finding the dates you posted, I'd like to send you some things. Your a strong and amazing women. Enjoy this and take it all in so you'll always have it for yourself.I love you and think about you every day, GO GO GO Girl!!!mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amy, this is Marina I just wanted to tell you that what you are doing is awsome and I wish I had done what you are doing when I was young. I'm trying to talk your mom into taking the trip when all the little one are gone. We might be 60 or so but I sure would love to try. Be careful and stay safe. Peace to you and your traveling crew... Love Marina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course the most comments here! lol
    Hey Jako - I was just thinking of you the other day!
    Marina - great to hear from you as well!
    Everyone else too, of course - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like great fun. Why dont u try having someone put a fuel filter on your car? Cost about $10 to $20 for filter.
    Bubblegum

    ReplyDelete