Thursday, April 23, 2009

Grassy Gap to Brown Fork (i think)?

It sounded like there were hyenas around camp last night. Nothai, who apparently does know what hyenas sound like for real said it was nothing like it, but that is the only way I can describe the sounds that some animals (birds we think) were making last night after the nice soothing owls sounds I heard too.

Today was another hellish day, climbing the rest of the way up "false summit mountain" I've renamed it. It was only 8 something miles, but almost all uphill and steep...I'm exhausted. I'm in my tent, escaping the black biting flies (yeah, they never really left unless it is cold or rainy).

Nothai brought up widowmakers (falling trees) and now all of us are worried about it, assessing trees around us before setting up our tents. Chef and someone else said they actually have seen a tree falling during the day. That would suck, but I'm too tired to think about something I really have no control over. This is how fear manifests itself in the woods instead of the media in the real world. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment