Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dicks Creek to Muskrat Creek

The Hiawassee Inn provides breakfast as well. But, here's the deal-the owners live in the building with the office in the front of the house. This is a real 'doors open' establishment, as we are encouraged to just walk on into the house and help ourselves to the laid out breakfast on their kitchen counters and breakfast table. This really made it feel like being guests in a home with a private room. They even have you put your laundry in a basket and do it for you, lending town clothes too! What a great place! We headed out around 9am at Dicks Creek Gap. Leaving town for me brings about a feeling of loss. While I'm eager to get going and excited about the day, another day with a warm soft bed is a longing that doesn't go away so easily. A bit before 2PM I crossed into North Carolina from Georgia and have officially conquered my first state! WOOT! The group was all resting at the gap and I joined in lazing about and shared a Hershey's bar I'd brought for the occasion with everyone. Larry (who is refusing my trailname of 'Porkchop') took my picture at the border on his cell phone. I need to remember to get that from him. I tried to take a video, but messed it up a few times and then just felt silly trying to do it over and over. I had met Hiker Bug earlier in the day who was out section hiking from Jersey. At 4:30, I reached Muskrat Creek shelter and hung my first bear bag! It wasn't smooth, but I got the job done! Oh, I keep hearing woodpeckers, but every time I stop walking and listen, I can't even figure out exactly what tree they are on, let alone try to get a picture. Today was the first day with no blister pain and guess what, I really enjoyed the day! Even without pain, I still felt beat when I got to the shelter. It is hard work walking up and down mountains all day.

I thought I might lose Bluto and Karma today because they are ready to put in serious miles and I didn't think I was up for it, but everyone kept up and made it the 12 something miles! Karma and Bluto have been hiking their days together and I tease that Karma has stolen Bluto from me after we hiked for a long time together. I've been hiking a bit with Chef, but a bit by myself lately thinking about lots of stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on completing you first state!WOO! Woo! Love you - aunt Coleen

    ReplyDelete