Tuesday, April 7, 2009

To Woody Gap

Today was a short 5 something miles to Woody Gap. It was pretty windy and started to snow early evening after getting to Gooch Mountain Shelter. I still put the tent up because I figured having that side open to the elements in the shelter, I would be warmer in my tent and bag. I think I was right - everyone else reported snow and wind all night waking them up. Last night I met a few other new faces that had hiked directly from Springer! They are flying and I will likely never see them again. These are the superfit folk who do 15+ mile days to begin with. One girl, Sleddog (i think!) said this was her second time attempting the thru hike because last year she was doing too much and hurt herself and had to stop. It made me wonder what exactly she was doing last year that the 20 something mile day today was a more reasonable distance. Aside from them, most of the same group from the night before is here. I also met a Korean man that helped me roast my socks over the fire while he waited for his water to boil. He doesn't speak English at all. He must be a very brave man. I don't know that I could do what he is doing. Can you imagine going into a foreign country by yourself when you don't speak the language and backpacking in the woods there! I woke up with an inch of snow on and around the tent. I was super warm though and the only bad part about that is packing up the wet and dirty stuff. I have new blisters on the tips of my toes from not having any cushion on the inside after taking the insoles out - MUST...MAKE...IT...TO...NEELS...GAP! It snowed off and on today which meant there were really pretty views of the snow covered trees and clear valleys. I was even able to get past my feet pain and appreciate this. Bluto and I took amazing pictures today. I made it to Woody Gap just in time to get the shuttle to the Hiker Hostel, which turned out to be booked so I'm going to the Motel 8 and splitting a room with Queen Becky and Black Eyed Susan for the night. I and a few others are taking a zero day tomorrow and staying at the hiker hostel.
I am also going to get a set of trekking polls at the outfitter. I picked up two sticks in the woods that I'm using now, but the difference is huge already! I also need to change my water system. The pills I use now take 4 hours to work and that means I have to either carry extra water (meaning extra weight!), dehydrate and die, or risk getting sick and drinking from a stream. I am going to get something that works a little faster and still use the rest of my tablets overnight for morning washing, etc. I'm also anticipating I will be lightening my load and sending some stuff back home that I'm not using.
My snowboarding pants ideally are good for being weather resistant, but they are very heavy and hot, even with the sides open for ventilation. So, in sending those home I will need a different pair of pants to wear daily AND something for rain/snow.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Amethyst! It's Certain from trailjournals. First off..congrats on graduating from EMU! I'm one class and one paper away from doing that myself. So you're doing a GREAT job out there. Don't stress how hard it is right now...it's supposed to be. It will get better! And let your body heal when it's telling you it needs rest. If you need anything, email me: micheleazehr@hotmail.com And when you get close to Rockfish Gap, VA...let me know. I'll pick you up and you can come stay with us and rest up. We'll feed you well too! Take care and enjoy even the shittiest of moments. You'll miss it when it's over.

    ~Certain

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you know her Amy ???Any way it is Easter basicly the bunny dilvers tonight.have fun from Madison Dad Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - Good to hear you are doing ok. Happy Easter to you and your friends on the trail! Love the blog!
    Love,Aunt Coleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certain!

    I will take you up on that!

    ReplyDelete