Saturday, April 11, 2009

Blood Mountain

Yesterday morning I went to the outfitter at Neels Gap and $500 and 2 hours later I headed into the rain with new Leki poles, new Keen shoes, Superfeet insoles, a new pair of Trekker socks (that have built in liners and supposedly reduce blisters), rain pants, zip off pants, and a wee tube of toothpaste. I sent home my old boots, inserts, pants and random other things that I gave up in the pack shakedown they do to help reduce packweight.

These shoes are much better so far, but I had to bargain with my feet to do an 11 mile day yesterday and I would do a few easier 7.5 mile days in return. They grudgingly complied! Bluto and I found our first "trail magic" today - Yippee! HOI, Bluto and I paused in the rain to drink soda and eat some snacks. I had an orange soda and twinkie....when was the last time I've had either of those! OMG they were wonderful (Thank you Sprite and Freckles)! I also slipped when one of my poles collapsed on me and sort of was like a turtle for a minute with my heavy pack not helping my unbalanced situation. I'll also report that I was laughing at myself when this happened and Bluto was in front of me and got a picture of this...which I'll post up soon enough!

It was raining all day and when I got to the shelter, I didn't want to set up my tent. I was cold so I took off my wet rain gear and under layer and put on dry clothes behind the shelter. I made dinner and in the process had a light rain mist spraying the back of me. I was going to sleep under the shelter with Chef, and right when I was about to get set up a leak sprung down the middle that we had to redirect with hiking poles so Chef's bedding (which was already laid out) didn't get wet. I decided to wait for a break or slow in the rain and put my tent up rather than risk a flood in the middle of the night. The shelter was already full, needless to say. I put my rain suit back on to put the tent up (which was still a bit wet inside) and proceeded to get the dry clothes I had on more wet! So, I learned some lessons today! Only change into dry clothes when you are actually ready to be dry and bunker down, lest you re-wet yourself!

I should have taken a lesson from Bluto. We hiked all day together today in the rain, so we experienced pretty much the exact same stuff. It was a pretty good day while we were walking and I didn't mind the rain much actually. However, even when it didn't stop and we had to set up in the rain, Bluto just stepped out into it and started whistling while he set up his tarp and hammock. This made me more upset with myself for being down about the weather. Like what, did you think it wasn't going to rain?!

Then today, it was foggy pretty much all day, but no rain. I honestly don't mind the rain or fog. I think it adds a certain ambiance to the forest that I like. When I'm in the Smokeys and it does that for days on end we'll see how I feel then, but for now I'm not complaining. I've taken to being interested in moss and mushrooms. You will see a lot of that in the next set of pictures. If anyone knows what the actual name of the different kinds (or flowers too), post comments and let me know.

I still need to learn how to walk! :) I kick a lot of dirt/debris up and trip on roots and rocks all the time. I have to stop and look around to take in the surroundings, otherwise I pretty much look directly in front of me at the ground while walking make sure I don't trip and fall down the mountain!

I'm getting the hang of other things; the routine of camp chores, packing and unpacking, cooking and cleaning up are all becoming a little less awkward and I'm starting to actually feel at home - like, I can see myself doing this for the next couple of months! I also feel my legs becoming stronger, like they are actually working on propelling me up he mountain instead of burning and feeling like jelly! I also don't have to stop as often on the ups as I did on the first day...the body is starting to cooperate! Downs are still a bit hard on the knees, but the poles help and I go pretty slow to take of the impact and also to not slip and die.

Karma and I are splitting a book he found at Neels Gap, I Hope they Serve Beer in Hell, but he is a fast reader so I think I'm gonna end up carrying more sooner. It is pretty horrible book with inappropriate dirty humor that is not only degrading, but immature and nasty. It sort of the perfect thing for me right now at the end of the day. I'm supposed to give my read pages to Bluto for him to read next.

4 comments:

  1. hi madison not fun any more right?I love you and I miss you call us soon Love Madison Mom Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you do the writing for these blog entries? Just find a computer and stream-of-conscious at each stop? Write notes down on the way? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, that's hilarious! Nate and I have that book in the back of the Jeep! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joe!

    I sort of jotted down details of the day and notes along the way if something interesting happened so I wouldn't forget, otherwise I'd be laying there at night not remembering. Then I would update the online blog when I got into town or a hostel with internet. Then I could elaborate better and add the details. I'm actually going back again now, as I'm done to add further details that I never put in as I'm thinking back on the days.

    ReplyDelete