Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hiker Hostel

Today was my first zero day spent at the Hiker Hostel - what excellent people; Leigh and Josh. I got the journal updated, did laundry, made a "bump box" that I mailed to myself a little along the way with some extra food and things I won't need until then.

Yesterday, Black Eyed Susan showed me everything in her pack, her clothes and everything because she has become lightweight since her attempt last year to thru hike the AT. She has a lot of down, which would make me too nervous about getting wet. Otherwise, I love her simplicity. Her pack is great (the same as Bluto's) and her lightweight options even afford her an umbrella to carry.

Charlie and Queen Becky made everyone dinner out of leftovers and scrounged up food here from the hiker box. Charlie, now Chef, got her trail name after this meal, as it was her doing and planning on the main dish. She is from Canada and has been laid up here a few days after straining an old knee injury. Windmill got some strawberries and ice cream at the store, and Bluto sprung for the beer! We all had a feast and good times. It was perfect to let the feetsies and body rest and recover; much needed time off! Quote of the evening: "I"ll make sure to check my pants to see if any more of your personal effects have meandered into them." This was said to Bluto as my pants were eating his socks in the washer!

There were a few others here that got in a bit later and I didn't talk to them much. There are so many people it is almost impossible to meet and remember them all. I also talked with several people who are staying here and beginning tomorrow morning at Springer! I might see them later down the road, but we will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment