Monday, April 13, 2009

Tray Mountain to Dicks Creek Gap / Journals

Today was a rough/great day! It indeed was raining when I woke up - and I didn't have to pack up a wet tent - BOOYAH! I slept great though. I had my breakfast of Carnation instant breakfast and heated up some water for a package of instant grits and headed out. It was very foggy, cold and raining...this surprisingly put a bounce to my step! Leaving the shelter I missed the turn and went the wrong way for a few hundred feet, but quickly realized I missed the turn. It was too rainy to have my head up when I was walking uphill and that's how I missed the turn going northbound on the trail. This didn't really affect me at all, aside from turning around and curiously wondering how far off track I'd gone. I'm not sure if it was to keep warm or just to get there quickly, but I started singing random songs and thinking about lots of other stuff other than the actual walking I was doing. As crappy as the weather was (it was COLD, rainy, foggy and wind wiping these elements around me and the mountains). I needed water at one point and went off the AT to a campsite where there was a 'scenic outlook'. Yeah, right! It was difficult to see 15 feet in front of me, but I went looking for water, which I didn't find. I did find the scenic outlook however and it was incredible. I couldn't see more than a few feet off the cliff, but the fog wiping around was spectacular. I didn't risk getting close, it looked like it might pull me clear off the rock shelf, but it was neat to watch for a bit.

It was 7.5 miles to the next shelter and I got there a bit before 1PM. It was still horrible weather and the thought of sitting in that shelter for hours wasn't appealing. It was another 3.5 miles to Dick's Creek Gap where I could hitch a ride into town and have a hot bath and warm bed; I pushed on. My previous method worked again, and I got there around 3:30PM and hitchhiked for the first time in my life. It was easy! The locals are used to hikers needing rides from the gap, so the fourth car to go by me stopped and I checked out the driver before getting in. I'm embarrassed to say, I forget his name now...but he and his wife had retired here after living in Michigan! We passed his house and he brought me into Hiawassee. I offered him some money for gas but he wouldn't take it, and gave me Hardee's coupons instead. It is incredible the way people are out on the trail. I know there can be people that aren't this way, but everyone is so nice, caring, and willing to help in whatever way they can. He told me how he picks up hikers all the time when he sees them; that's just the way it is here!
I'm rooming with Old Soul and Charlie Dog tonight (who I met briefly the other night). Actually I didn't even remember meeting him until I went looking for my bunkmate. Old Soul had told the Hiawasee Inn guys that while he had a two bed room, he was open to roomies so if anyone came by needing a room to direct them to him. So when I got in, he offered and I said sure...now where I can find this Old Soul guy! I can see your reaction at home - OMG!!! It's okay...it's a different way out here man! Not only that, but I'm not really the kind of girl to go along with something that doesn't feel right.

I just wanted to say that everyone's comments really mean a lot to me and thank you so much for your encouragement. I really look forward to checking in on town days (nearly as much as showering)!

I'm taking another zero day tomorrow to get some R&R, do laundry, eat at Daniels AYCE, update the journal (I jot down thoughts and events at the end of the day on my paper journal, and then try to recount the story when I'm in town and have the time, although it is usually 30 minute increments), and resupply. I've also learned to always check the hiker box at hostels before going to the store for anything you might need (people leave all kinds of things in there)!

I haven't had any deep or profound nature induced thoughts yet - I'm sure those will come later, I'm still adjusting to the very very physical nature of the task. I'm having more moments of enjoyment than those of pain now though, and that is definitely a move in the right direction!

For those interesting in reading the perspective of my traveling companions, here are the links to some of their journals:

Charlie "The Chef"
Bluto
Ihavegon
Queen Becky


Obviously, I haven't read them...but I sure will when I'm done!

The whole gang has met up here in Hiawasee, spread out between several hotels. I wanted to stay at the Blueberry Patch but had heard that it was booked. That's too bad!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pictures. You look great! It was great talking to you and hearing your voice. Keep on trucking! I LOVE you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it going - my son is out there, near Roan Mt. now and you are all so brave and courageous.
    Here's to all the hikers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I've been a slacker but I finally made it around to reading all ur stuffs and looking at the pics. SWEET stuff man. Glad ur having fun.

    -Tank

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your entries just showed up in my feed reader today, so I'm catching up! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete