Sunday, May 3, 2009

Standing Bear Farm

First let me say, pictures are coming soon. I generally get 30 minutes per town to try to read e-mail and update the blog. Unfortunately pictures take a bit longer and sometimes I can't even upload because of computer limitations.

It was a short day - 3 miles into Standing Bear Farm, a hostel. It's funny how things work out here. I didn't get a hat in Cherokee but I wanted to get one for the rain, and then I found an abandoned Addidas hat in a shelter that nobody has claimed. SCORE! I forgot to buy sunscreen for my nose and cheeks, which have been getting burned and my freckles are jumping out of my face. I found some 50+ SPF 'baby face' stick in another shelter - DOUBLE SCORE!

Okay, so I think I may have spotted the Jack O'Lantern mushroom (which I wanted to see oh so much) while in the Smokies. I'm not entirely sure - I took pictures, I'll look it up later.

I got my replacement drugs from Cristy and her letter (which I've read twice now). Sounds like there is a bit of drama going on at home. I'm really happy to have the drugs though. I'm definitely feeling the affects of not having it. I was getting headaches like I used to. I've also been getting some 'brain fog', which could be dangerous.

I have met a bunch of new people here; Walking Home, RLB, Quatro, Wren, Bonbon. Ran back into Birdie and Bubbles (yay!), Bluto is here as promised and Screefreak even showed up about 4pm. Things didn't work out so well with him and his GF hiking I guess and she is back on her way to England. They tried to head out of Fontana and turned back two days in a row before they called it and he took her back to the airport. Nosense got dropped off from his brother too! Bluto's leg is on the mend and he'll be heading out with us tomorrow, although now he thinks he may have caught swine flu from Birdie who has been laid up here sick. Looks like the CFC is back in force.

No comments:

Post a Comment