Wednesday, September 1, 2010

7 Weeks - Whoops!

If my son ends up having brain damage - it's my fault! So, he likes laying on the changing table and until today this wasn't a problem because he can't roll over. He still can't roll over, but he scooted himself head first off the end while I was idly sitting at the computer looking for our upcoming housing needs. I've never heard such a heart wrenching scream as that of my infant after being dropped on his head. He calmed down after a minute or so and we checked to make sure nothing was broken, he could focus and move his eyes and seemed relatively okay, minus his scattered cries of pain. Some Tylenol and a bottle later he was almost back to normal. I however was not. OMG, I was so scared, like that time when I stepped on my pet bunny and I wanted to find the rewind button. He had knocked down his little turtle toy, I heard it and replaced it. Five minutes later there was a louder crashing noise. As I was turning around, I was thinking, "What could that be? There isn't anything up there that would be that loud!" I was horrified to see that there was no baby on the table! I was terrified he was dead. I've never moved so fast in my life! I wanted to throw up and the adrenaline was coursing through me. He started screaming before I even picked him up...I knew that was a good sign though, at least he wasn't unconscious or dead. I know it happens, I was dropped on my head twice (explains a lot, right?!) but sweet Jesus I wasn't prepared for how badly I would feel. Well, now that that is done hopefully there will be no dropping the baby incidents, that was enough for me, thanks.
Moving on to the rest of the update and less horrible, this past Saturday felt almost normal. Elba slept for a lot of the morning before Mitch had to go to work. I made coffee in the morning and Mitch made breakfast while I got to play on the computer. We ate, I did dishes and then Mitch played on the computer before taking a shower and heading to work. It is almost the way we used to spend our Saturday mornings pre-baby, aside from me pumping and him feeding, patting and giving a narrative while cooking! Things are starting to get more normal and not so chaotic. Elba is sleeping through the night aside from waking for a bottle or two. I can't even express how wonderful it is...I'm starting to really enjoy him and our life instead of having life be the constant management of functions.
When I was hiking, I would think about how my day was filled with constant adjustments, finding the path of least resistance, and grinding to the next town for a down day of rest and fun. It was work, and not usually fun. These early weeks have been way worse...I'd rather be hiking. Not that I hated hiking...I'm saying that it was a lot of work physically for me with often not much reward. You would think that parenthood should be more of a joy and rewarding. Not these early weeks. Sure there are those moments of love and relaxation, but mostly it is a management of functions, no fun at all, and downright grueling exhausting work. That is what I mean; the feeding, changing, burping, rocking, and bathing must be managed as well as my own feeding, bathing, pumping, and changing. Don't forget then the cleaning, blogging, laundering, shopping, working, emailing, phoning that also contends for the days allotted time. So then falls short my own reading, relaxing, playing and sleeping. You see now, as I've come to realize, it has been the managing of functions that has been my life for the last 7 weeks and why I can't believe my child is almost 2 months old now...where did the time go? Read above, and I digress.
It isn't bound to get much better is what I've come to realize. Mitch picks up extra hours when he can at work, but he will soon start school at night. We really need to get on this whole finding a new place to live thing....I only have another month here. We agreed to start a weekly date night, but that happened once so far. On the bright side Professor Fussinutter Binkerton is much less fussy and easy to manage, so hopefully there will be more days like Saturday around the corner. I really can't wait until he knows he has hands...that will open a whole new world of self exploration and entertainment up for him.

2 comments:

  1. Bring him over sometime this weekend and party in Ann Arbor!

    You're right. In the early stages, it's all exhaustion and none of the fun. Feels very endless, but it does end. ;) As my kids have gotten older, I've gotten some perspective and those early days/weeks/months really do go by so fast. Then of course you forget what it was like. It's all worth it though for a lifetime of enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this today and couldn't agree more. With my first child he didn't breastfeed, but I pumped, it gave me nights off at times to actually get more than 4 hours of sleep in a row... But now that I am breast feeding it's all me all the time getting up in the middle of the night, only able to shower after feeding so I don't lose my milk, I feel like my entire schedule revolves around the baby, even when I am at work and pumping.

    As for date night, do it, weekly was a bit too much for Jack and I to try to cram in, but we have date night at least once a month and make sure we have sitters and plan, it really really helps. :)

    When I first went back to work I would catch myself looking for the baby... like aren't I supposed to be keeping track of something, but it does get easier, just takes some getting use to.

    ReplyDelete