Tuesday, September 21, 2010

10 Weeks - Tears & Fears

I have so much to write about! Okay, so last week was Elba's first in daycare. Mitch drops him off in the afternoon (11:45am) and then I pick him up when I get out of work. The first day I forgot to put the carseat in my vehicle but thankfully remembered before leaving work so Mitch and I switched cars. The third day I did this again but didn't realize it until I was walking out to my car baby in hand. Helene (the baby sitter) had her car packed and was loading her family in to head out; it was obvious they were waiting for me so they could go on with their night. I was scared and embarrassed and didn't know what to do. I did the bad thing. I prayed to the God I don't beleive in the entire way home with him laying on the passenger seat and my hand on his belly. He fell asleep and I think rather enjoyed the unrestricted ride. When I got home I almost cried. If that ever happens again, I will call Mitch and have him meet me. It was a bad call, and I'm sure I'll make more, but not that one again. I prayed and used my phenominal cosmic power to keep other vehicles from smashing into us on the way home, draining me emotionally. Seriously, I was terrified driving home. I thought about how I would go to jail, they would take away my child and I'd probably be the subject of a safety blurb that night on the news if anything happened. NEVER NEVER AGAIN - there is a post it note on the door now.
The good news about daycare is that Elba is exhausted by the end of the day and slept through the night those 3 nights. I guess she also watches a few little girls and they just adore him. They all want to play with him and even got in trouble for not leaving him alone once. I think that interaction is really good for him. Not only for sleeping, but he seems much more aware and interactive. He is content to lay on his back and just watch what is going on around him for long periods of time. This is great since I'm packing, cleaning, making dinner, etc. In one way I am starting to feel more and more like a real person again, but in another way I feel like I'm losing it and my head isn't screwed on right.
I think he made his first attempts at grabbing something. I was at work Saturday for a moment when one of the residents wanted to hold him. I 'sat' him on the counter and let her 'hold' him while I also held him from behind. She was wearing these beaded necklaces (like the ones we throw tubing on the river). He was just staring at them and wouldn't look at anything else. He started to sort of get excited, but kept staring at them...well, his litle arm reached out and kind of hung out in front of him, swatting the necklaces back and forth. Then, he caught his fingers around some and BINGO - his first grab! Now, if this was focused and intentional I'm not sure, but it was close enough to count for me!
Mitch took him to the doctor yesterday for his 2 month checkup and first round of multiple shots. He said he screamed so hard no noises were even coming out, he was just red faced, wide mouthed and looking very upset. Poor baby; we are getting some real tears now so it is even more pitiful when he cries.
Our new furniture is being delivered on Thursday to the townhouse and then we are moving everything Friday after work. I'd like to still get in there and paint before hand, but this is harder than it seems with time running out. So, I bought the brown leather sofa set that includes the chaise lounge, big daddy chair and ottoman. I also picked out a coffee table, end tables and a dresser for Elba. Mitch negotiated with the sales chick to get 5% off the whole order AND 18 months no interest. Since the word is ending in 2012, this is a great deal! :)

Current Weight: 209

2 comments:

  1. Hard to beleive so many lived through the 60's and 70's isn't it? No car seats, cigarette lighters on coffee tables ... boggles the mind!

    The backseat floor is probably your best bet safety-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your head probably isn't screwed on right. :) They don't called it "mommy brain" for nothing. I think there's just too much going on once you add a baby to keep it all straight, making you feel crazy all the while!

    It won't be this hard or insane forever!

    ReplyDelete