Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Carver's Gap

I cleaned/closed up Grandma and Grandpa's house and left Florida by 2ish and started driving. In Georgia I stopped for dinner at The GA Pig, a restaurant in my Roadfood book. I don't even like BBQ pulled pork, but this sandwich was the best I've ever had.
I'm gonna need to watch money more closely now because gas and food is going to add up a lot quicker. I think a stop at Walmart is needed for going back on the oatmeal breakfast plan.
I stopped at a rest stop to sleep instead the first day and then made it to Carver's Gap the next day.
I conquered Roan Mountain going south bound. It's pretty funny actually, where I stopped, I was only .8 miles from the top. At Greasy Creek Friendly, Connie had mentioned that when I was the top it was worth doing some side trails. When she was telling me this I thought there was no way I'd do them because I'd be thru hiking and adding extra miles onto those days just wouldn't happen, but since I'm here...I did, and today was maybe my favorite day yet. Not only was Roan Mountain one of my favorite sections, the gardens and high bluff lookout trails were wonderful too. Maybe it was different because I just took the day and did what I wanted with it. It felt like vacation, it felt wonderful.
The next day I went north from Carver's Gap a bit and explored the grassy balds. This was a very nice section as well and I got great views. I got a very early start so I was back in my car on the road again by noon. I drove around a bit more and then decided to drive to Bluto's house in North Carolina. I had started to not feel very good yesterday and today I feel like I've got a head cold. The drive was really great, I sort of went the long way and really enjoyed the drive through the mountains and lakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment