Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Plan, and my Period (SUPER!)

I'm beginning a sleep log, because as the book states colicky infants generally sleep a few hours less than other babies. I am going to document exactly what is going on so I have a better idea of how much sleep he is getting. I honestly have no idea how many hours total he sleeps, although I'm guessing it isn't as much as he should. This is likely mostly due to his short naps during the day too, which leads to the night fussiness. During the day when he is put down to sleep in the crib he will only stay sleeping for about 15-20 minutes (I think). Well see if I'm deluding myself of how much actual sleep he gets. Don't even get me started on how much sleep I actually get. Last night it was about 3-4 hours total, and that chock full of wakings. It really is quite incredible and I'm amazed at how well I'm able to function with so little sleep. Now that I'm back to work, rest when baby rests doesn't quite work. It is even harder at home because I'm expressing milk so even when he is asleep then I have 20-30 minutes of pumping to do before I can lay down. And remember, if he is 'napping' and not 'sleeping' that means that he is up and fussing before I'm done...you see the cycle and why I'm not sleeping?
I will say that he is doing better. I almost don't want to say that because I don't want to jinx it. He is still fussing, but at night falling back asleep quicker and without needing as long of a time of consoling.
Today at work I was very disappointed to find that I'd started my period already. I'm expressing milk so I thought I'd get a few months break. I had actually just stopped bleeding from the birthing process maybe a week ago, so this is pretty disappointing. I just looked up the normal range, and three to eight months is what one website states. I should call my doctor to make sure this is a real period and not something horrible. Now I have to deal with PMS too? Poor Mitch.

2 comments:

  1. May not be a period but just more of the postpartum bleeding. How long exactly since you stopped?

    This is so funny. I used to obsess over Jack's sleep. I new he was never getting nearly as much as the other babies, or as much as all the experts said, so I would go absolutely crazy trying to get him to conform. In hindsite, I wish I hadn't stressed about it so much. Long story short, Jack never did sleep all that much and completely quit with naps at 2 1/2, but he was in the crib all the way until then with a tent on top to keep him in it. One nice thing about him is that he doesn't need as much sleep to function and is never cranky from being tired!! Been that way for many years now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. postpartum bleeding stopped maybe two weeks ago. I called my OB and she said it is probably a period and while that is extremely unlucky, not unheard of. But with any luck I might still be able to skip a few months and irregular for a while. Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete