Friday, June 11, 2010

37 Weeks - Old People Say the Darndest Things!

I have heard this week both, "Is there something wrong with the baby, you are too small for 9 months!" as well as, "Are you sure you don't have twins in there?" from residents at the senior housing community I work at. For everyone's information, I've gained about 30 lbs and haven't gained any in the last few weeks (which is normal), despite my getting rounder. This means the baby is stealing my fat; take it I say! I'm actually quite proud of my weight gain through this. I'm not yet past the highest number I've ever seen when stepping on the scale (about 6 years ago I was 240 at my heaviest). I put on a most weight surprisingly in the first trimester, I think from lack of energy and giving into cravings. Otherwise, I've maintained a healthful diet with lots of fruit, veggies, dairy and grain. I haven't eaten much meat, but I've substituted eggs and cottage cheese so I can still get protein as well as lots of green leafy for iron. The way I was packin' on the pounds at first I thought for sure I was going to gain at least 50 lbs by the end, but third trimester really slowed for weight gain. I think it also helps that my stomach is squished so much that I can't eat much before being full, and I know if I get to that point that I'll have heartburn like a mother! Actually, heartburn has become the chronic norm now unfortunately. I was able to keep it under control the last month or so with Tums and glasses of milk. But now, the only thing that helps...is a milkshake! I know what you are thinking, "Yeah, right...okay Amy, a milkshake is the 'only thing' that will help, how terrible." But really, and I'm not really a milkshake kind of person either. I'd rather go straight for the ice cream....but milkshakes it is right now! Yeah, and they are tasty too! I'm a bit nervous that this habit will start the pounds packin' again. Did you know that a milkshake/frosty/jamoca shake is like a million times worse than say an ice cream cone? Something about the different kinds of mix they use for each. I would eat the ice cream cone if I thought it would do the same thing...but magically it doesn't. I'm not kidding; milkshakes FTW!

Yesterday my co-workers had a surprise baby shower for me at work with the residents. It was really very nice. My co-workers chipped in on a wagon filled with goodies, and some residents brought gifts too. I was very touched by the whole thing. I mean really, the generocity of everyone, some of which hardly know me...it was really too nice!

This weekend Janet is hosting my baby shower in Michigan. I've been very bad at attending social gatherings lately, as I've said before, so I'm really looking forward to seeing all my lady friends. My good friend Erin is also going to be in town since she moved out of state a while ago, I'm so happy to get to spend some time with her too!

In a few days I'll be going to my doctor appointment and they will inspect me for the first time, looking to see if I'm dialated at all. I'm pretty excited to have some sort of indication if I'll be on time or not. I still need to pack my hospital bag! I did install the car seat last night though! :) Tonight I think Mitch and I will put together the crib that was delivered the other day! Its all happening!

No comments:

Post a Comment