Monday, August 1, 2011

Fleeing Michigan

I have some pretty exciting news (depending on who you are). I have found and accepted a job in Bolingbrook, IL and will be starting on August 21st. Last year my old boss Shannon reached out to her old boss Colleen who is a regional director of senior living communities in Illinois. She told her my situation and that if anything came up I was wanted to move back home to Illinois. Well, a few weeks before Elba's birthday Colleen called and asked me to send my resume for an open Sales Director position. We had an interview while I was there for the birthday party and I got an offer when I got back home. I accepted and I'm pretty darn excited about it. My next career goal is be an executive director and you need to have direct sales experience generally. I was hoping a transfer might be an option since my current management company is being acquired by another (making it the largest in the country) but they have pushed back the date to Sept. 1 and chances of a transfer happening within the my time frame aren't good, so I'm taking this job. That isn't to say I'm not excited about it. I just would have liked to keep my benefits and seniority if possible. I'm actually quite excited about it. The community is beautiful, almost 100% occupied and has a wait list. Want to hear the best part? Some of things they do for outreach, being a tax credit property are volunteering within the community. Sounds very personally fulfilling as well. I'm a little overwhelmed right now thinking of moving, finding housing and daycare but I'm happy to know that soon things are going to be a bit easier and more calm. The bad news is the job is a significant pay cut for me and the cost of living is a little more expensive out there. I'm looking at at least $950-1,000 for a two bedroom apartment when that is what I'm paying here for a 3 bedroom townhouse. I'm guessing childcare will be more as well. The job is salary plus commission. Estimating my commission humbly, it is $5K less than my current salary. I might not get as much paid off (car, student loans, etc.) that I'd like but I'll still be able to live comfortably. I'm hoping that I can take some growth opportunities with this company if everything works out.

How did Mitch take it? That is what everyone keeps asking me. Well, we had talked during breakfast on fathers day about me still moving to Chicago and that conversation went very well. When I told him I accepted a job that interaction didn't quite go so well. He sort of said, "Hmm...congratulations" and that was it. When I later told him that I would have thought he would be happy and excited for me as my friend he said that no, he wasn't happy or excited for me because I am taking his boy far away from him. Okay...so that is how he is taking it. I'm hoping that when we move and things fall into place he will come around and be less....grumpy.

In 4 days Cristy is flying from CA to MI for our annual tubing trip (and to get her stuff out of my basement). I'm so excited to see her and can't wait! Yeah, so I went ahead and planned the last tubing trip for me likely. We have a smaller turnout than normal, but it should be fun nonetheless. Nate is coming out too...so that should be interesting. I'm very excited to see him as well. We also have Mitch, Justin and Jesse, Anne, Laura, Angie and Andrew.

Both birthday parties went very well. We did one party at Janet's and then one at my Mom's house the weekend after his bday. He held it together while and didn't meltdown so that was great. Both parties started at 2pm and wrapped up by 6ish. During our last pediatrician appointment (12 months) I asked for the next 'magic book' suggestion. I explained that Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child was the magic book that got me through once I understood sleep, colic and all that. So, I've downloaded Happiest Toddler on the Block to the Kindle and have started that one. I'm only maybe 20 pages in, but so far very good. It talks about how your toddler is more of a 'cave child' and not to think of them as 'little people' because they aren't. I like it...Okay, well the boy is going to wake up soon and we have a day off planned that we will need to get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment